So the time has come for you to buy a new pair of glasses and you have chosen to shop at a discount eyewear online retailer such as Eyeglass Factory Outlet. You will be able to shop from the comfort of your own home or favorite Wi-Fi hotspot, but first you will need to know somethings about your eyesight before you can order. Along with your lens prescription, you will need to know the pupillary distance (PD) before you place your order. The pupillary distance measures the space between the pupils of your eyes. Knowing your PD is important because you need to make sure your eyes match up with the optical center of your lenses.
Follow Eyeglass Factory Outlet’s guide for an easy step by step guide to measure your PD at home:
- Stand approximately 8 inches away from your mirror
- With your head straight, hold a ruler against your brow line.
- Close your right eye and align the ruler’s zero markers to the center of your left pupil.
- While looking straight, open your right eye and close the left eye.
- Read the mm line the matches up with the center of your right pupil. This number is your PD.
- Make sure to measure your pupillary distance a few times to make sure that it is accurate.
- Adult PD Range: 54-74mm
- Child PD Range: 43-53mm
- If a friend is measuring your PD, keep both of your eyes open and have them place the zero mm over the center of one of your pupils and then measure the distance to the center of the other pupil.